Useful information about tyre changes
All our VH Membership options include Cover at Home service, so we’ll come out and fix your tyre for you at home. Give us a call on 0207 247 4301.
How to change a tyre?
It’s important to carry a spare tyre in your vehicle. Sometimes it might be beneficial to change the tyre yourself, or at least know how to – just in case you end up in a situation without the means of contacting us.
Changing a tyre can be a difficult task for some. Especially if you haven’t ever attempted a tyre change on your own. However, it is essential you know how to change a tyre on your own – just to prepare you for situations you might not expect.
Assess your current situation and ensure you and your passengers are safe and away from danger.
- Have you stopped the car in the best place?
- Is it out of the way of other vehicles?
- Can I safely perform the tyre change?
If you’ve ticked all the above. (If you haven’t, then move the car to a safer place.)
- Then, apply the handbrake.
- Put the hazard warning lights on.
- Place your warning triangle on the road behind your car.
- Tell your passengers to exit the vehicle safely using the doors furthest away from any possible vehicle traffic.
What tools do I need?
Ensure you have the correct tools:
- A couple of wheel chocks
- Wheel nut key
- Car handbook
- Torch (If you’re changing in low-light conditions, i.e night)
Changing a tyre
- Use the wheel chocks to stabilise the vehicle
- Position the car jack
- Loosen the wheel nuts
- Jack the car up
- Remove the tyre
- Fit the spare tyre
- Tighten the wheel nuts
- Lower the vehicle completely
How long does it take?
It should take anywhere from 20-30 mins to change the tyre on a road.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE A TYRE ON A MOTORWAY.
Call us on 0207 247 4301 or use one of the emergency phones on the side of the motorway – we’ll be with you in little to no time.
If you need to renew or upgrade your membership please call 0207 247 4301.
If you’ve broken down and require assistance call us on 0207 247 4301.
We’re here to help – whenever you need us. Call us 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Landline calls cost standard UK rate. Calls from mobiles vary.
The latest news and updates, direct from VH Recovery.Read more